Course Description:

This course discusses the reading process and the factors that influence its development, the role of assessment to inform and adapt literacy instruction, the evaluation and use of formal and informal assessment tools for individual learners and groups of students, and the interpretation and communication of assessment results. A 30-hour practicum is required.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Week 4 Reading

I think assessments are exiting my eyeballs. Hum, honestly I wish I had more time to process more of this information. I am an indecisive person. In fact my first year of teaching I would plan out my week of teaching on the Friday before I left to go home for the weekend and by the time Monday came around I change all of my lesson. Of course over the weekend I would grade the student work and decide they need more support on these terms or those terms.

For much of the reading my thoughts were I hope I don't Know when I might run into this or the need for this assessment. However, now I have references to start so that I can assess this information if i need to. I like the reminders of words I have not used in a long time like Homophones and Homographs. While reading about those I thought about re-looking at these types of words for a just for fun game in class to help support my ELL and ELL monitored students. All and all I enjoyed the thoughts on words and teaching words.

It is interesting to think about how hard it is to undo something that the student has ingrained into their mind as the right way to do something or how hard it is to redirect misconceptions in any subject area. One point in the text I very much agree with which is that some students are auditory readers and some students are visual learners. After reading through the observation survey I am a little nervous about following through with the procedures. However, I am a scientist and as a scientist thinks I want to make sure to follow the procedures exactly. For chapter 6 I find most of the assessments interesting and I always find the process of something even the process of learning or the process that most learners follow as very intriguing. Anyhow, I know at some point I will take the time to re-look at these chapters by looking at what I wrote or what I highlighted and make notes to focus upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment