Course Description:

This course discusses the reading process and the factors that influence its development, the role of assessment to inform and adapt literacy instruction, the evaluation and use of formal and informal assessment tools for individual learners and groups of students, and the interpretation and communication of assessment results. A 30-hour practicum is required.

Friday, October 7, 2011

#4 Observation Surveys and Livebinders

Reading about Clay’s observation survey was very insightful for me. For one, as a kindergarten teacher a few years back I had to give the “concepts of print” assessment. All of the questions were pretty much the exact same as Clay’s survey, except we were not given the scoring guide or directions (and definitely not the book Sand). It’s pretty much common sense as far what your trying to find out about what the student knows, but now I feel like I actually I have a better way of asking the questions and I like the other four components of her survey. The Clay book I will actually keep and use as reference since it is very applicable for 1st grade.

Also this last weekend I was going to start putting together my Assessment toolkit, so I started looking at the livebinder.com website. Great website for anyone who hasn’t looked at it yet! Some (maybe all I didn’t look into the technicalities of them yet) of the livebinders are open for everyone to see and access. I found one on the Daily 5 and the Café and I love it! Great resources and websites… all for free. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment