Course Description:

This course discusses the reading process and the factors that influence its development, the role of assessment to inform and adapt literacy instruction, the evaluation and use of formal and informal assessment tools for individual learners and groups of students, and the interpretation and communication of assessment results. A 30-hour practicum is required.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blog #3

MSV miscue analysis… I thought at first it was going to just be hard to keep up with the child as they were reading a passage, that turns out to be not so bad with my first graders. It’s analyzing their mistakes and self-corrections that is a lot more taxing then I thought. For the most part I feel like I can understand where my student is needing extra support after completing a few running records with them. However, the MSV miscue analysis is taking it one step further and looking specifically at every single detail. Very time consuming! I can see myself using this strategy when I have a child that continues to struggle after interventions have been put in place, rather than on every single child in my classroom.

I too liked reading Gillet’s chapter covering the different reading strategies. It was a good list of reminders of things I know to do, but sometimes forget. I definitely do a lot of those strategies throughout the day, but I get comfortable and don’t always switch up my activities as often as I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment