Course Description:

This course discusses the reading process and the factors that influence its development, the role of assessment to inform and adapt literacy instruction, the evaluation and use of formal and informal assessment tools for individual learners and groups of students, and the interpretation and communication of assessment results. A 30-hour practicum is required.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I'm Beginning to See the LIGHT!

Today I administered my Reading Observation Survey with a kindergartner. It was kind of fun and took all my strength and concentration to complete the survey with a straight face. The little guy I was working with (who was a nice change from my usual 7th and 8th grade lovelies) was very serious about "helping me with my homework" and was therefore also very serious about doing his best. I was amazed at how diligently my little guy worked as we made our way through all five tests and a running record.

The kiddo I worked with did a really good job with letter identification and struggled a little with word reading and dictation. I was intrigued by the fact that during the word reading he looked at the word "Mother" and instantly said, "I don't know this word" and moved on. I don't think he even really looked at it a full 3 seconds! This is where I had to keep a straight face because as we went through the list any word he came across where I think he felt he hadn't seen before or maybe felt like he couldn't sound out, he just omitted as if it weren't even on the list! I don't know why I think it's so funny...but it's as if he never saw the word at all...he just carried along and kept working his way down the list.

The dictation test gave me a greater appreciation for you wonderful K/1/2 teachers who have to make sense out a few letters to get to the amazing stories these kids have to share. I really enjoyed this part of the observation survey because in working with only older kids, it is very interesting to witness and understand where literacy begins with our students.

I'm feeling better this week about the workload for this class. After finishing up the Reading Observation Survey, the Formal Assessment Critique, my Literacy Assessment Toolkit, and now my blog response, I can spend the rest of my time focusing on reviewing and studying the massive amount of assessment terms and compiling all the information I've gathered for my Case Study project. It's amazing we are already hitting the halfway point of October and that now we've only got one more class after tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment