Course Description:

This course discusses the reading process and the factors that influence its development, the role of assessment to inform and adapt literacy instruction, the evaluation and use of formal and informal assessment tools for individual learners and groups of students, and the interpretation and communication of assessment results. A 30-hour practicum is required.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Finally Understanding the Survey

The six literacy tasks in this Observation survey are well thought out. I found the reading easier and more appealing this week. As I prepare to deliver my concepts about print assessment tomorrow I feel enthusiastic about trying some of the other assessments on the little ones as well. At the same time, I realize that I have my hands full. As I rehearsed tonight I realized how much of a challenge this is going to be to complete this small assessment.

I remember seeing the early primary students flourish with their writing progress between October and Holiday break last year. Portfolios are very powerful at this age. When the literacy begins to come together in the brain it really happens quickly. I am inspired tonight for sure. A musical assessment, beyond hearing and recording sounds, is the only part of this early childhood survey that I see is missing. I exhale.... I finally understand what the Observation Survey is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment