Course Description:

This course discusses the reading process and the factors that influence its development, the role of assessment to inform and adapt literacy instruction, the evaluation and use of formal and informal assessment tools for individual learners and groups of students, and the interpretation and communication of assessment results. A 30-hour practicum is required.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Today.

Tripping....is one way to describe my running records....tripping.  However, I am getting better.  Running records were not something I did in my class, but about two years ago I noticed that some of my incoming students were struggling in reading.  I didn't know why and I didn't know how to find out.  I tried several different strategies and improvement was made, but I think back and wonder...what exactly was going on?  I knew about running records, but I thought that you only really used them in early elementary.  I had never heard of the QRI or most of the other acronyms for various assessments in general.  The past couple of weeks I have been working with various students in my school and as of today, I can see the messages from assessment in reading jumping out.  I actually sat down with my principal after doing Marie Clay's Oberservation Study using Sand with a first grader and talked about what I figured out during the test.  It was informing.  I'm still learning, but I had an "aha" moment and that felt good.  Now, when I dig into my running records I am starting to see where the strengths and gaps are for a few of my students.  However, the MSV still mystifies me.  I read, reread, look at examples from class, search the internet for more examples, and in the end, I am still confused.  It seems so simple, but I can't get my mind to work with me.
During this class I don't think I have ever read, realized, or thought so much about reading before.  I have uncovered an entire world!  I think the more I practice administering reading assessments and go back and analyze my collected data I will begin to understand more. 
This was today and I'll take it.

1 comment:

  1. You are not alone! I'm tripping, stumbling, and actually (at times it feels) falling right on my face! :

    I've had instruction and practice with running records in my past-but not a lot of the MSV practice. I find myself feeling like I'm "guessing" when I record on each running record. I think mostly, it's lack of confidence right now. I'm sure as I continue to practice and gain my confidence, it will begin to flow and MSV will ooooooze right out of my pen!
    I'm also really overwhelmed with our studies right now. Mainly, it's September and for any teacher....anything on top of what we are trying to accomplish in our classrooms can push us into overload mode!
    Enough of my rantings! I'm learning a lot and I'm excited to be moving on with our reading coursework! Whatever it takes for me to become the best I can be, I'm on board!

    ReplyDelete