Course Description:

This course discusses the reading process and the factors that influence its development, the role of assessment to inform and adapt literacy instruction, the evaluation and use of formal and informal assessment tools for individual learners and groups of students, and the interpretation and communication of assessment results. A 30-hour practicum is required.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Seeing, Acting, Emerging: Ch. 6 Reflection

It was interesting to to read about the concept of word assessment where the child memorizes and then attempts to connect what they know in their brain to the written word in the poem My Little Dog. Next, Assessing the connection between the letters and the individual speech sounds “phonemes” is what I like to imagine as the physicalization of printed word - Phoneme Awareness. And last of all, I cringe with thoughts of controversy upon reading the description of Letter-to- sound matching. The phoneme to grapheme correspondence is what we call “phonics.” Darrell Morris’s sequence on page 179 is interesting. I am interested to know other sequences of how people believe we should scaffold learning to read words. I am curious about the Rudolf Steiner philosophy on the emergent reader. In any case, the controversy behind teaching phonics to the whole class in the 2nd and 3rd grade classroom becomes more and more clear to me as I read this chapter.

Once again Chapter 6 provides a great framework for a whole body of knowledge that I feel I already own live teaching skills in. I notice that the Project Glad model follows many bits and pieces from this chapter. The print orientation concepts and alphabet and letter matching games are solid teaching practice that can be repeated over and over throughout the primary years. There is a certain element of trickery that the teacher must engage in to promote literacy development in these years. I liked the strategies in getting the students to write how they will defend themselves from the monsters that they developed. This is meeting kids at their level after you have already hooked them.

No comments:

Post a Comment