Course Description:

This course discusses the reading process and the factors that influence its development, the role of assessment to inform and adapt literacy instruction, the evaluation and use of formal and informal assessment tools for individual learners and groups of students, and the interpretation and communication of assessment results. A 30-hour practicum is required.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

final post, homestreeech!

Although it was a ton of work, I learned a few things during this last week (okay, hopefully I learned one or two things during the other weeks too) while trying to read, digest said material, give more running records, attempt to write in a more better way (opps) and finish the Observation Survey. I'm going to tutor the student I worked with since she can't read at all in first grade and its probably safe to say she should be in kindergarten again. I know that she missed much of kindergarten last year because her mother wanted to keep her at home. No, she wasn't sick. I'm not completely sure how the mother's thinking went and I'm gently working on helping her to understand how to help all three of her children. It was interesting to see how all of the subtests, tedious as they were, gave a clear picture of what the student can or can not do as a reader and writer. After giving a few tests and doing the critique from the giant reference library at Concordia, I feel as though I have a small base of information to work with as I move forward as an educator. There is a place for formal assessments besides the state tests!

No comments:

Post a Comment