Course Description:

This course discusses the reading process and the factors that influence its development, the role of assessment to inform and adapt literacy instruction, the evaluation and use of formal and informal assessment tools for individual learners and groups of students, and the interpretation and communication of assessment results. A 30-hour practicum is required.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

An open letter to Comcast:

Dear Comcast,

As you are a massive cable company with thousands of customers, I suspect that my particular internet situation is of no consequence. In fact, based on the treatment I have received from your "helpful" customer service reps., I am positive that my situation is at the absolute bottom of your list of priorities.

What you don't realize is that not having internet in the week before I have multiple assignments due in a graduate level reading assessment course is crippling. What is worse is that the time I could have spent working on the assignments that did not require internet access was spent on four different phone calls, waiting in line at a service center (at which you only had 2 reps. during an afternoon rush), uninstalling and reinstalling modems, and screaming a string of obscenities at my computer. I wasted all of this time only to find out that you had, in fact, sent me on a wild goose chase and I would have to wait until Thursday for a technician. Oh, and I would have to leave work as you don't schedule evening hours.

Needless to say, I will be finding a new internet service provider.

Your former customer,
Jessica

I have to say, that made me feel much better.

As for the work this week, it's been a rough one, but I'm sure you've already figured that out. The thing I am struggling most with is the assessment critique. I consider myself an intelligent person, but trying to decipher the technical language about the content validity and reliability of the SRI could just make my head explode. I did, however, enjoy administering the observation survey to my adorable little goddaughter. It's not often that I get to work with the little ones. It's a nice change from teenagers from time to time.

At least the end is in sight, right?

2 comments:

  1. cough cough-the bigboys were sad that they could not bring you coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo!!! I ditched my Comcast internet service last year. Seriously, I believe they might be an organized crime syndicate. Sorry about the technological issues, though. If I can help, let me know.

    ReplyDelete